Sunday 8 February 2015

A Fine Conscience I Turned Out To Be!

Well, as my second blog I decided to use Pinocchio as my topic. I decided to use this as my second one because my boyfriend is actually the one to use this reference in his everyday life the other day.  It was originally going to be my first blog post, except for I like the Lion King better, so it became my second instead. 

Pinocchio is known for the puppet who became a real boy.  His nose would grow with every lie he told, and he had to prove to the blue fairy that he was worthy to become a real boy for Geppetto.  Pinocchio goes through several different tests that give him decisions to make.  With these decisions he needed a conscience to help guide him on the right path.  And with that enters Jiminy Cricket who tells the blue fairy that he will be the conscience for Pinocchio so that he makes the right decisions through life.  

Well, clearly I'm not going to talk about that the whole time.  My boyfriend and I met while working at The Disney Store Outlet.  My boyfriend was working there for two and a half years before I started.  Working there gave me a perspective on Disney that I could never forget.  But after I left there, my boyfriend continued to work there for another two and a half years.  It being a retail store, they would gain hours around Christmas time, and lose hours anytime between January and September. Retail stores are really only for part time employees, ideal for those going to school or needing to work a second job.

And so although he was there for so long, he felt they were using him like a puppet (Pinocchio).  He was hardly getting any shifts, and although he would remind them that he was available for anytime.  But they would repeatedly tell him that his attitude wasn't right for the company, or that he wasn't a right fit for the store.  So they would just keep holding him on by giving him a 4 or 5 hour shift here and there but would never let him go due to lack of hours.  Well, just recently he decided to have a conversation with the store manager to find out what the plan was, whether it would be worth staying or if he should just walk out and let it be as it is.  During this conversation, the store manager told him that they couldn't give him a transfer because of his lack of knowledge on the floor (which he only needed to be retrained on the cash because he is actually very customer friendly). She had mentioned that she wouldn't be able to give him any hours because he couldn't get in early enough to do shipments (He is restricted to transit which couldn't get him to work any earlier than 9am).  So she gave him the decision to quit or to wait until more hours become available.  He decided to quit. 
 
For anyone who knows my boyfriend, he has actually been a very miserable person over the years.  He worked two part time jobs for years, and both of them weren't giving many hours. So when he quit Disney, he literally called me up and told me 'I got no strings to hold me down'.  I have never heard him be so positive about leaving a job than he was about leaving the Disney Store.  But for someone who isn't as much of a Disney fan as I am referencing a Disney movie made my day. I was so happy that he was happy, and even more happy that he referenced a Disney movie because he gave me a perfect blog entry. And as always, Have a Magical Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment